084: Gift giving guide with Ali Linz
Discover gif hacks for the festive season to save money, reduce your mental load and buy group gifts efficiently.
In this episode, Mia and Dinah interview Ali Linz, co-founder of Group Together, about the benefits of group gifts, common mistakes when buying gifts, and the benefits of a systematic approach to gift buying.
The benefits of group gifts:
- Save money, time, and avoid landfill by pooling resources and giving a more meaningful gift.
- Group gifts can be better for the environment and more valued by the recipient.
- The option to carve off a portion of the gift for a charity of your choice.
Common gift giving problems:
- Many gifts given are not well-received or wanted by the recipient.
- Research shows that recipients often prefer gift cards over physical items.
- Consider giving a gift card to let the recipient choose their own gift.
How to buy a gift - The benefits of a systematic approach:
- Make a list of all the people you want to give gifts to and set a budget.
- Consider using group gifts for certain occasions to save money and give a better gift.
- Use tools like Group Together to simplify the process of organising group gifts.
How to give charitable donations as gifts:
- Carve off a portion of the gift pool for a charity of your choice.
- Giving to charity can make everyone feel good and have a significant impact.
LIFE ADMIN RESOURCES
- Get Ready for Christmas Checklist
- Catherine Hamlin
- Fred Hollows Foundation
- Oxfam Christmas gifts
- Kmart Wishing Tree