082: Carol Robertson on buying property with an advocate
Mia and Dinah interview advocate, Carol Robertson, and discover how a buyer's advocate can help reduce the mental load of buying property, saving you time and stress.
Carol Robertson is a real estate veteran with more than 20 years of experience in property. She specialises in her clients' homes rather than property investment and provides valuable insights and guidance for her clients to make informed decisions about their next home and selling their current one. She is dedicated to reducing overwhelm for her clients in the real estate industry.
The Impact of the Current Economic Climate
- Market uncertainty affects both buyers and sellers, making it crucial to carefully consider the timing of buying or selling a property.
- Downsizers need to ensure that the sale of their current home will provide enough equity for their future plans.
Essential Steps for Buyers:
- Get your finances in order before starting the search for a property, including obtaining pre-approval from a lender.
- Research the market thoroughly, looking not only at current listings but also at recently sold properties to understand pricing trends.
- Consider your long-term goals and the specific features you want in a property to ensure it meets your needs.
Importance of Building and Pest Inspections
- Depending on the age and condition of the property, it may be necessary to conduct building and pest inspections to identify any major defects or issues.
- These inspections provide valuable information for buyers to make informed decisions and negotiate repairs or adjustments to the purchase price.
Strategies for Buyers in a Competitive Market
- Understand the local market and the tactics used by agents, such as underquoting, to set realistic expectations.
- Be patient and avoid rushing into a purchase, as this can lead to overpaying or making a decision that doesn't align with your long-term goals.
- Consider hiring a buyer's advocate to navigate the process, provide independent advice, and negotiate on your behalf.
The Role of Buyer and Seller Advocates
- Buyer and seller advocates are independent professionals who guide clients through the buying or selling process, providing valuable insights and reducing stress.
- Advocates conduct extensive research, shortlist properties or agents, and ensure that clients are well-informed and prepared.
- Advocates can also assist with coordinating other professionals, such as conveyancers and tradespeople, to streamline the process.
Buying or selling a property can be overwhelming, but with the right preparation, research, and support from buyer and seller advocates, it can be a more efficient and less stressful experience.